Tuesday, April 13, 2010

School Life, Orientation, Music

I know, its only been my second full day at school, but I'm already sooo incredibly tired!! I was sleeping in first period this morning lol. I worked it out, I have the same amount of class time in Japan as I did in NZ last year, except for Mons and Weds when I have an extra 50 mins. But yesterday we left early because the afternoon was homeroom, sorting out the class council, and today we had a health check. We all changed into gym clothes and went into the gym to get our teeth, ears and noses checked. I finally saw my sempais (older high schoolers) one shouted my name and we waved for around 5 mins lol. Afterwards we had our hearts and arms checked (?) then back to homeroom for the eyes. My right eye failed me, I could not read the letters! But my left eye was OK. Class is pretty relaxed, I'm able to do work and understand (!) world history, modern Japanese, and English. Yesterday maths was studying without a teacher, but everyone just talked. I don't think i even opened my maths book! I expected it to be way more strict, but schools pretty cruisy, or maybe its just because I can't understand anything! The science teacher was apprahensive about me entering his class which I sooo don't mind!! I also don't have to do maths!! Life is sweet! =P

Last weekend we had an AFS orientation. We met at Hiroshima bus center, where I found an ATM which accepted my card!! AND showed my balance!! We walked over to the city library, where Supika goes for chorus, and there was accommodation at the top of the building as well. On the way, I talked to the volunteers in Jap and they said it was really good! I could understand everything that they were saying! We mainly did some team building exercises and talked about why we came to Japan and what home life is like etc. The president also told us we can't have cellphones =( All of my friends have them and they hardly ever go on the internet. I'm still going to try and get one though!! We're allowed them if our families need us to have one...
Dinner was mainly western food (yay!!) I am finding it really hard coping with the Japanese food. I don't like fish, shrimp, squid, soy sauce, miso soup or mochi. All the main food of Japanese cuisine. But, I still eat it, even though I'd prefer something I atleast recognise. There's hardly any of that here.
I ate basically the whole plate of french bread and butter. AFS students that were there: (Nicknames:) Nastia from NORTHERN Russia!!, Nati from Costa Rica (I prob listed this before, but I'll do it again), Meimei from Malaysia, Franc from Quebec, Dome from Thailand and Ain from Vietnam.
After dinner we had a very simple Jap lesson, I did learn some new things though。
We had a bath, onsen again, but a small one so it was just Nastia, Meimei and I. It's not so bad with friends. We then helped make a cake in the kitchen with the volunteers. The one baking has a cooking license, we tried one of her trial cakes and it was soooo good!! Back at the room, Meimei was getting her costume ready for the next days presentation, and we discovered Nastia has one of those bull nose piercings!! And a stretcher, and 2 earings on her lower lip, but obviously she can't wear them in Japan, especially not in front of her family!! Bed at 12, woke up at 6.30 and made breakfast. I ate all the bread again =P We then made onigiri for lunch which was fun. In the seminar room we talked with our LPs about Japan so far, mine doesn't like seafood either!! And she's Japanese!! Then all the host families arrived, except mine of course, and we ate lunch. My friend Nao who sits next to me at school was there also, because she's doing an exchange to norway in August, but she can't speak any Norwegian!! We then had our presentations. Meimei had a powerpoint, Ain had pictures, Nati had posters, Franc had a speech, Dome had nothing, I had a paua shell necklace, bone necklace and my AFS top, I mainly used the whiteboard. One of the questions I was asked was about Kiwi husbands. I said that mine cooks dinner and does the washing etc. and they were all so surprised! The husband basically does nothing in Japan. My hostdad doesn't know how to use the washing machine!! Next Nastia talked about Russia with photos, last winter it was -45degrees!! (cant find degree button). Afterwards everyones families took them home, and I walked to the bus stop and caught the bus home.

I'm having some trouble with my music. I put my mp3 onto the comp but couldn't listen to it without going through open/mycomputer/mymusic etc. So I tried to transfer it on but ended up deleting ALL of my music!!! I looked in the rubbish bin but it's not there!! I tried searching it but nothing comes up. I went back onto windows media player and managed to find the source of some tracks I had played earlier, so I now have around 30 songs, but can't find the rest!! They must be on here somewhere! I've downloaded several restore programmes, but they're all for deleted files!! I don't know what to do!! And I'm worried that that's all my music gone! I have it all on the laptop of course, but that's at home! If anybody has any suggestions, can you contact me on either facebook or at locked_and_confused@hotmail.com. And, I've already asked my family, but I'm the only one in the house with the most knowledge about computers... which is not alot.

4 comments:

  1. This is fascinating! Thanks for writing this blog. You have a husband though?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I thought that too! Julz and a husband? I never knew! :P It all sounds so amazing though Julz! And that is so awesome that you are doing so well with your jap! You must be a natural! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. no no no husband!! hahaha
    and definetly NOT a natural!! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoops, i just reread it, i meant my dad XD

    ReplyDelete