Saturday, April 17, 2010

Robbie and Natto

OK, finally the weekend and I slept in til 10 both days. I officially don't have to take maths, earth science, Japanese history or classis anymore because they're way too hard and boring. Instead I study alone in a room downstairs. Atleast I get to listen to my music, and I can roll down my leggings so my legs don't freeze!! I have yet to take photos of my uniform, but we only have a skirt for the whole year (inluding winter!) and my legs are sooo cold!! So I roll up my leggings underneath my skirt and pull them down every so often.
I went to ESS club yesterday, English Speaking Society, and finally met Robbie, an assisstant teacher from England. He was glad I was joining ESS, as well as some 1st year English classes on Monday. There were only 3 of us in ESS, Yuka, Humi, and I with Robbie teaching. We played picionary!! Yuka has been learning English for 6 years now but it seems like she's been learning it for less than 1! Robbie said he first came to Japan on a teaching programme which encouraged English speaking teachers to teach in Japan, because Japanese people's English is very poor.
I found out that he takes the same bus and train as me, so we talked all the way back. He said he'd seen me before, but didn't really want to speak to me because he doesn't like strong Kiwi accents, but said mine wasn't that strong. He'd also lived in Australia for a year so maybe that's why he doesn't like it? But he said he had to concentrate to find a difference between our accents! I'm surprised I haven't noticed him before though, he's atleast 6 foot with brown hair and pale skin..

Yesterday I went to the library, got a library card and borrowed a book which is going to take me way more than 2 weeks to read!! I felt a bit embarrassed looking through the picture book section, so thought I'd go that step up, maybe it was too big a step? I also bought a Sakura flavoured KitKat which was soooo deicious, but it was expensive so only once. I have seen timtams in the supermarket too!! For around $6 so no!!!
I made rice pudding last night, tasted different because of the milk, but soon got used to it. I don't think they liked it too much because it was 'too' sweet, and of course, their idea of sweets is different to ours. My hostdad bought cake as well yesterday. I noticed when Japanese people say cake, they mean sponge cake with flavouring, so I ate a choc spong cake, Supika had strawberry sponge, Miwa (cousin) and hostmum had melon sponge and hostdad ate caramel pudding. I still haven't seen Kouha for a 3rd time haha.
I forgot to say, sometime last week my hostdad bought crayfish (I think, he said it wasn't lobster) and it was sooooooo delicious!!! I had no qualms about eating the meat in the legs either!! But it was soo incrediby expensive!! He bought 3 packages, the head, body and legs. The body alone cost 5000 yen, around $85 dollars!!!

This morning I ate natto for the first time. It's a food that Japanese test out on foreigners because most of them don't like it, kind of like us with marmite. It smelt like coffee, and tasted like it too. It was OK, I had around 15 chunks with rice. The main thing that put me off was its stringyness, it pulled away like a spiders web.
Now I am going to make pikelets for lunch because I don't have a pancake recipe!! I'll have to get that some time....

2 comments:

  1. What is sakura? I'm finding your food comparisons really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sakura is cherry blossoms!!! haha thank u!

    ReplyDelete